12 July 2016
The Model Scottish secure tenancy agreement (SST), which registered social landlords (RSLs) will be familiar with, includes various references to the right to buy (RTB).
- Section 6 (ending the tenancy) gives the purchase of the house as a ground for ending the tenancy.
- Section 8 (information and consultation) obliges the RSL to provide information on RTB and the likely consequences of RTB to the tenant.
- Section 10 (general) confirms that the tenant may have the RTB, subject to the legislation.
The legislation that requires the inclusion of these terms in any SST will be repealed on 1 August and, therefore, on or after 1 August 2016, BTO recommends:
- New SSTs are amended – to avoid any confusion – by deletion of any provisions that mention RTB
- When new tenants are signing SSTs they are advised that the RTB no longer exists.
There is no need to amend SSTs signed before 1 August 2016.
Contact: Marion Davis Senior Associate E: firstname.lastname@example.org T. 0141 221 8012