Intellectual Property Law Consultancy Services
The Technology and IP Team specialises in technology and intellectual property law and has the breadth and depth of experience to provide a top quality service.
We work in a variety of business sectors including technology, construction, energy and renewables, recruitment, engineering, drinks, retail, hospitality and leisure, social housing, the voluntary sector and local government. Our clients range from sole traders and individuals to large multinational companies with a variety of needs.
Our team offers expertise in both contentious and non-contentious work, regularly appearing in the Scottish Courts and at arbitration and mediation. Partner Paul Motion, who heads this versatile niche team, is an active Solicitor Advocate and this enables the team to offer comprehensive services in both the sheriff courts and the Court of Session at competitive rates.
Why seek specialist advice?
Many firms do not offer IP advice. Others may wish to involve external specialists in certain aspects of a particular case or transaction. Firms which do offer IP services may find that on occasions, they are unable to act due to a conflict of interest.
We offer a bespoke service to other solicitors and professionals on IP matters and can enhance the portfolio of legal services that you offer to your clients. It could save your clients time and money in the long run and will address risk management concerns from your perspective.
How will this work in practice?
We can engage directly with your client or provide you with advice to pass on to your client. You can involve us to the extent that you feel is appropriate, depending on the circumstances. We can also act on a fully comprehensive or ad hoc basis to suit your requirements and undertake opinion work where required.
We are competitive and our feeing structure can be adapted to best suit the type of instruction, ranging from an hourly rate to a monthly retainer or fixed fee.
How can BTO Consult assist you and your clients?
- IP Infringement: Pursuing and defending claims for infringement of registered and unregistered IP rights, including passing off, infringement of copyright, trade marks, design rights and data base rights.
- Trade marks: Advising on registration of, renewal and opposition to, trade marks and representation before the Trade Marks Tribunal in contested cases.
- Website and domain name disputes: Pursuing and defending claims for cybersquatting, domain name spoofing and unlawful use of domain names. Representation in Nominet .uk domain name disputes and ICANN/UDPR for other domain name disputes.
- Commercial advice on protection and exploitation of IP: Advising organisations and developers on how to protect, buy, sell and licence IPR; drafting and revising agreements for the sharing and joint development of IP; and advising on confidentiality, non-disclosure and restrictive covenant requirements.
- Technology and Software: Advising on all types of agreements for design and development of software and associated technology, end user license agreements, terms and conditions, technology contracts and all related disputes.
- Media: Providing advice and advising on online content (including defamation and passing off) publishing and music contracts, artist rights and commercialisation agreements.
We are pleased to work closely with SnapDragon Monitoring Ltd. SnapDragon monitors the world’s busiest online marketplaces, including Amazon, eBay, Alibaba and Taobao, for products which may infringe your clients’ intellectual property rights.
Infringing links and sellers can be reported for takedown in many ways. If subscribed to the SnapDragon DIY service, removal can be requested by the client, by BTO or by the multilingual client team at SnapDragon. Benefits to removing an online perpetrator include: ensuring genuine brands thrive, and are not tarnished, revenues are not diverted by fake purchases and the unsuspecting customer is not put at risk.
Download our Intellectual Property Law Consultancy Services brochure here
Paul Motion, Partner & Accredited specialist in FOI and data protection law, E:email@example.com T: 0131 222 2939
Lynn Richmond, Partner, E:firstname.lastname@example.org T: 0131 222 2939