Contaminated land, climate change, pollution controls, waste management, avoiding health and safety and environmental risks… Environmental performance is a critical measure of success in the commercial world.
Everyone in business must be aware of environmental issues and the effects of their business on the environment.
BTO’s full service environmental team consists of experienced lawyers from a range of legal backgrounds, including property, planning, corporate, renewable energy, construction and health and safety (including three former Procurators Fiscal and four Solicitor Advocates).
Each team member brings invaluable experience to our public and private sector clients to ensure that they adhere to developing EU and UK regulation.
We deal with:
- Compliance/Regulatory Issues
- Contaminated Land and Pollution Issues
- Contracts and Warranties/Indemnities
- Development Projects
- Directors’ Duties
- Enforcement Authorities
- Environmental Claims
- Judicial Reviews
- Obligations under Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981
- Planning Matters
- Policy Interpretation and Coverage Issues
- Regulatory Matters
- Renewable Energy Projects
- Roads and Relevant Legislation
- Waste Management Issues
Vikki Watt, Partner & Criminal Solicitor Advocate email@example.com / T. 0141 221 8012
David Gibson, Partner firstname.lastname@example.org / T. 0141 221 8012
- Advising a Scottish Council in relation to a very high profile CDM project
This involved advising the client’s Health & Safety, Quality and Environmental team at a strategic and management level. Advice on exposure to prosecution or enforcement activity through the contract and working practices across a whole range of environmental and related legislation.
- £multimillion waste management litigation
Acting in a £multimillion waste management litigation for a large Scottish Council.
- Judicial Review
Judicial Review of Planning decision by East Renfrewshire Council re trees/housing development.
- Advising in relation to a significant contaminated land/contaminated waste claim
This contaminated land/contaminated waste claim was relating to two major registered social landlords in west central Scotland.
- Representing a large logistics, rail and constructing group
Successfully defending in relation to a prosecution about the transfer of contaminated waste. BTO was also involved in an appeal against the imposition of a statutory notice regarding noise.
- Representing a recycling company in relation to an explosion
The explosion occurred at a recycling plant and BTO successfully appealed against a prohibition notice.
- Advising in relation to regulatory involvement with SEPA
Advising a dairy in relation to regulatory involvement with SEPA arising from emissions from slurry containers, including the criminal prosecutions arising.
- Compliance to asbestos regulations
Advising a large engineering firm regarding compliance to asbestos regulations and related proceedings following the use of materials imported from outside the EU containing asbestos. Guidance was also provided in relation to staff and customer advice and information.
SEPA prosecution/ SEPA pleas.